Varsity 2013: Lacrosse Post-Match Report

28th March 2013

This year’s ‘Super Wednesday’ came to a head in an enthralling game of Lacrosse which saw the University of Nottingham beat Trent 16-11 at the University Park Sports Centre and seal the entire Varsity Series. In only its second year, over 100 people travelled onto campus to watch the inter-University match which certainly did not disappoint after the extremely close contest in 2012.

The first quarter saw the University of Nottingham start extremely well opening up a 2 point lead within 5 minutes. They consistent pressure on the Trent defence however only left gaps in their own high line which Trent exploited to draw level by 13 minutes. A back and forth affair between the two very aggressive teams ultimately led to a 4-3 lead for Uni of with their number 84 being at the heart of their most dangerous plays.

Within minutes of the 2nd quarter Trent had equalised with a fantastic pass from their number 15 killing the entire Uni defence and the home side seemed shaken as they conceded another soon after. Their nervousness did not last long however as Uni began to keep possession and grind away at the Trent defender’s whose long sticks couldn’t help them intercept some slick passing. The 2nd quarter ended with Uni of smashing the crossbar from an impressive 15 yards out, but by this time they had already built up a 7-5 lead as their clear training moves became more effective.

The University of Nottingham really showed their dominance in the 3rd quarter eventually opening up a 14-7 goal lead. This came about from some fantastic individual and team play, but after conceding a few, the Trent defence fell apart. This was encapsulated by the Trent defence passing it out directly to the Uni’s most dangerous forward who emphatically slammed the ball past the helpless keeper. The Uni players spoke after the game about their poor performances in 3rd quarters of games all season and seemed genuinely inspired to put things right in the biggest match of the year.

For all their good work, Uni seemed to have thought the job was done as some lacklustre defending saw Trent score 4 in 6 minutes to come back to 14-11. Trent heaped on more and more pressure as they hoped to reverse their fortunes of 2012, but the gap was too great to close and Uni eventually scored another two impressive goals to seal the match and win the entire Varsity Series for the University of Nottingham. An extremely exciting and impressive display by both teams will certainly mean that next year’s bout will have added animosity and importance, especially for the Trent side who will now want the Varsity victory more than ever.

Rob Schofield caught up with two members of the victorious Uni lacrosse team, Alex and Simon, to get their take on how they managed to come out on top in such a physical contest.

Rob also grabbed a word with another of the team, Tom Hicks, recently elected to be next year’s AU officer. He was delighted with how his team had stepped up their game in the face of Trent’s late comeback, and will surely be hoping they can put on just as good a performance next year when he’s organising the Varsity Series!

But in spite of the freezing conditions, one man who was delighted above all others was AU Officer Jonny Bell. As a committed Uni sportsman he’s been desperate since the start of the Series to absolutely stick it to Trent, and with Uni’s win in lacrosse not only seeing us retain the Varsity Trophy for the first time, but to win it outright before Easter – an all time record – he couldn’t have been happier. He also told Rob of his confidence that the remaining Varsity events would still attract their usual crowds, even though the overall Series had now been decided.

Varsity Lacrosse 2013: Final score Uni 16-11 Trent
Uni win the Varsity Series

Rob Schofield & Sachin Gosai