Varsity Men’s Football Report

1st May 2015

Nottingham Trent fans invade Meadow Lane
NTU 2-1 UoN

Men’s football post-match interview:

Post-match interview with SU Sports Officer Kiri Madhani:

In an encounter much tighter than both the Trent players and pundits expected, the University of Nottingham valiantly lost 2-1 to their city rivals at Meadow Lane.

The UoN IMS All-Stars came firing out of the blocks, as their counter-attacking 5-4-1 formation based on wing-back play caused trouble for Trent, who were holding a high line. There were few chances in the opening minutes, though Sutcliffe looked particularly dangerous when running in behind the Trent defence.

It was Sutcliffe who created the opener for UoN, with a clever knock-down from a failed Trent clearance to the feet of Colman who belied his inexperience to calmly slot the ball past Radford. The unexpected lead brought the Green and Gold crown to life, as the Trent fans were momentarily silenced.

The boys in Pink slowly worked their way back into the match however, with a scorer from last year – O’Malley – proving to be particularly dangerous. It was that same man who forced the equalizer, losing his marker in Pickles, to take a floated ball over his shoulder and finish the ball past the standing Scotland on the half-volley.

Moments later however, O’Malley could not do the same when posed with just keeper from the penalty spot after Trent had moved the UoN defence around. Striking the ball hard and low, the UoN keeper made a superb save with his feet to deny the Trent striker, an action which ensured the game went in 1-1 at the break.

The 2nd half began with a number of substitutions, as Trent’s 18 Gilson warmed Scotland’s gloves whilst Dante-Hart looked dangerous down the UoN left. Chances were few and far between though, with the best moment for the Green and Gold Army coming as Sutcliffe failed to get his head to a ball from the left.

Trent then had a few dangerous moments, as Evbota cleared the ball off the line following a corner and the players in Pink had a decent free kick opportunity which was ultimately ballooned wide.

With both sides looking tired, and the understandably less fit All-Stars going down regularly for cramp, the chances dried up as the match went on, with both managers making substitutions to try and keep their sides as fresh as possible. Trent regularly sought to exploit the UoN tiredness with balls over the top, whilst the fans asked those in pink ‘Is this your 1st team?’, supporting the ever-valient stand-in’s who had been so quickly written off in the pre-match build up.

The eventual difference between the two sides proved to be one magic moment, as Trent centre-back Nash leapt on the ball following a successfully cleared corner. Driving forwards from all of 30 yards, he hit the ball as true as you would ever wish to see into the bottom left of the corner of the net.

As the All-Stars poured forwards, Trent created more chances on the counter, and although those in Green and Gold tried valiantly they were unable to find an equaliser. The match was then soured by Nottingham Trent fans who poured onto the pitch before the match had reached its end, with stewards unable to control them.

Unable to create anything after the crowd had cleared, the referee blew the whistle to bring the match to a close. However, after a truly heroic performance by their University’s stand-in’s who had been put together in a matter of weeks, the UoN fans were left asking the question of what might have been as Trent gained another Football Varsity victory and closed the series lead further.

Score: Trent 2 – 1 UoN
Scorers: O’Malley, Nash; Colman
MoM: O’Malley

Samuel Boyle