Varsity Men’s Rugby Union Report

4th May 2015

Ugly scenes marred Varsity Rugby
UoN 14-28 NTU

The University of Nottingham Men’s Rugby club were unable to follow up the success of the women’s side, suffering a disappointing defeat to Nottingham Trent at the Lady Bay arena.

UoN started off the match brightly, regularly pressurizing the Trent 22 with kicks from deep. It was Trent who had the first opportunity to score however, missing a penalty kick from just to the left of the posts, failing to put the opening points on the board.

Those in green and gold took advantage of that missed opportunity, scoring the opening try of the match following some quick pass-and move rugby which started on the left touchline following a line-break and ended up with Tom Walsh crossing the try-line on the right hand side to put the first points on the board.

Following the try however, Trent managed to re-assert themselves in the match, forcing UoN back with consistent runs from deep and kicks to touch – with the pressure leading to penalties, and the penalties leading to a sin-bin as UoN were punished for offisde. From the resulting kick, Trent cut the deficit to just 4 points, taking the match in at 7-3 at half-time.

The momentum that Trent had developed towards the end of the 1st half continued early on into the 2nd, with another penalty being converted after yet more attacking pressure in the 22 to take the score to 7-6. UoN tried to respond to the pressure with attacking rugby from deep, but were ultimately caught napping as Trent scored their first try with a line-break from deep which was completed, with the Trent fans at Lady Bay celebrating wildly as their team took the lead for the first time in the match.

Scenes turned ugly shortly after, as a fight between the UoN and Trent players broke out just in front of the watching crowd following a high and late tackle, resulting in a sin-binning for each side. In the elapsing period, Trent managed to score two tries which took the game beyond the UoN players, built on lines run from deep off the back of set-pieces, particularly carry’s following line outs.

With the score standing at 7-23, UoN gave themselves hope with Rob Eades diving over the line following some quick ball-in-hand rugby which put the Trent players on the back-foot. However, any hope of a comeback was soon nullified, as Trent hit UoN on the counter following an attacking break by those in green and gold to both run down the clock and score another try out wide.

A disappointing performance by the UoN boys, in which they were outplayed by a well-organised Trent side who took advantage of the momentum they garnered late in the 1st half to put the game beyond doubt, and close the series to 8-6 overall.

Score: UoN 14 – 28 Trent
UoN scorers: Tom Walsh, Rob Eades

Samuel Boyle